Friday, October 16, 2009

mr. brightside

First, I would like to preface with the notion that I know I have
forgotten
to add people onto this e-mail. However, I am exhausted and feel this
is a
good number to start. Secondly, please send me your new e-mail if you
would
like to continue to get e-mails from me. Finally, I know I have
promised a
few of you calls this weekend. I thought I was going to have time to
call
today, but I missed my flight this morning and had to road trip down the
coast of california (this partially shannon's fault, but mostly my
fault).

My last week was a whirlwind of emotions a roller roaster ride which had
me
excited, nervous, wanting to spew my innards everywhere and completely
exhausted. To begin, my placement: I have been placed in Pinole Middle
School
teaching Life Science to 7th Graders. I am one of 4 science
teachers
in the school of 750 students and one of 2 teaching the 7th grade. I
was
SHOCKED to see my school. It is two years old, the science labs have
better
equiptment and resources than Providence College, and the school ranks
highest in the district in science. The demographics prove to be the
most
diverse school in the district. 1/3 black, 1/3 latino, and 1/3 third
white. The socioeconomic bandwidth is also quite large. To paraphrase
my
wacked out, transparent, just down right crazy middle aged principle (no
joke, I fell in love with her!), some students will roll up in mercedes
and
escalades while other will be show up second period because they were
responsible to get their younger siblings to school before they got to
school. So the achievement gap (TFA lingo) literally exists within the
school itself.

My district: my district is called west contra costa. Of the three
districts in my area, it has the worst performance ratings overall.
While
sitting on a panel that some TFA alum set up with students, teachers
(some
TFA, some not), and admins from Richmond High it was not surprising to
hear
what came out of their mouths. Last year there were two homocides,
leaving
two memorialized desks in two TFA members classrooms. Additionally, we
were
warned about not wearing certain colors, I began to learn new lingo
(yes, i
was the kid that made the student stop and explain half the words that
came
out of her mouth), and more or less the logistics and goals of the
school
overall. Quite intense. My friend and I then sat in on a TFA safety
session where they proceeded to tell us that those things (she had this
odd
wingspan analogy) such as homocides, etc. were on the far right side and
happened very rarely (implying that she was not going to focus on this),
while the things such as bloody noses, stubbed toes were on the far left
side of her arm and happened much more frequently (the focus of her
conversation). I then passed a note to a friend and fellow district
member
who sat on the previous panel a note saying "so i guess we are the
exception." Upon reading it, she promptly raised her hand and shared
the
homocide and a crack house story to which the TFAer completely and
repectfully dodged her comment.

The WCC (west contra costa) corps: About 15 strong, we are quite the
bunch
of hooligans. Our average age is probably about 23/24. We have an
ex-pro
tennis player, an ex-pro soccer player (both women), a Jacob (my future
roomate) who taught english in japan for a year and such (similar to the
china program), and 12 other amazing people. For the most part, we come
from all different schools, no ivy leaguers (which are quite the
pretentious
bunch), but all know how to throw some back. I am living in a apartment
complex with atleast 5 of them at the moment. a few others may join.
The
corps in general is quite the crowd. we are 250 in total, abotu 60%
women,
and of the 40% male, about 30% of them are gay. It is wild. You would
think I woudl be in heaven, but not so much. Who do I find myself
clinging
to, those damn straight guys. I am forever cursed to always be friends
with
straight guys. i'm just kidding, though I do find it quite interesting
given the opportunity to have gay friends and find myself choosing to be
friends with breeders. However, I guess it i look at it closely, they
were
the only guys to really approach me and talk to me.

Where I am living: I am a week away from signing a lease to an
apartment in
Oakland, CA. It is the perfect place with the perfect price. It is a
short
walk from downtown oakland and the BART (public transportation). It has
laundry facilities, grills, pool, hot tub, and a small gym. Like I said
before I am living Jacob. He's a real cool easy going guy, straight but
had
an absolute blast with me and shannon at SF Pride (he was shocked and
amused
at how many times his ass got grabbed while walking in the pride
crowds).
He is the second oldest of 11 and is from Minnesota and he reminds me
Kevin
Nealon's character Doug Wilson (the ex-mayor or mayor for those who have
not
scene it in awhile). He played rubgy in college and loves to talk...
about
anything and everything. Why do I know so much? We have spent about 12
hours in a car together--6, today as shannon and I joined him in the car
trip to LA.

PRIDE!!!: HOLY CRAP is all I have to say about San Francisco pride. The
three of us went to dinner in the Castro (the gay capital of the world)
on
Saturday to this amazing Thai place. We walked in at 5:30, got sat by
5:45,
and had amazing Thai noodles and cocktails. We left not knowing what to
do
or what was going on around 7:30. We stepped outside and found
ourselves in
a HUGE multiple street block party/dance rave. It spanned up the castro
and
T-ed off by market. THOUSANDS of men, women, and EVERYTHING inbetween.
It
was called Pink Party Saturday and Jacob ironically had a bright pink
shirt
on. There were costumes, people dancing out of windows, topless women,
completely naked 60-70 year old guys. Guys in leather, jock straps, pig
outfits. I was in awe... in shock at what i saw. The three of us
walked up
castro amongst the crowd, had a few beers and then Shannon and Jacob
convinced me (it didn't take much) to leave them behind and join the
masses
on in front of a DJ raving.

The guy: Well, of course it is pride, so there must be a guy. I also
need
to talk about my Ichabod Crane/Adrian Brody look-a-like San Diego
date...
but I don't have time to talk about both and the second one is much more
interesting. So I am dancing alone, (I was wearing those black shorts I
got
from South Africa that the hammock and cara never ceased to make fun of
me
for wearing) and I pretty much looked like a lost puppy dog. I made eye
contact with a cute guy dancing with some lesbian who was on something
(never found out what it was but she did manage to scale a fence which
separated the crowd from the DJ and get herself kicked out). I gave it
the
1,2,3... and about 2 minutes later we were dancing (I tell you dennis,
pj,
and cara... it works). Anyway.. the reason I am bringing this up. I
know I
spoke to many of you about my concerns about HIV and AIDS especially
with
the education I had received and learned of the growing population of my
generation of gay men contracting the disease b/c of the carefree
attitude
and though process that it was not a life threatening disease, so on and
so
forth. Well, before leaving Shannon I retorically asked her how many of
the
guys at this pride she thought might be HIV+. We both obviously have no
idea, but I was really curious on the matter. Flash forward, I am
having a
great time dancing with this really cute, a little bit older (later
found
out he was 32.. he looked about 26) guy. He pulls me over the the side
b/c
he is sweating like crazy to talk and rest for a bit. He knowtices my
ring
and comments how he is irish as well (O'Donohue) originally from Iowa.
Small talk, small talk, then he drops this line: "I have to tell you
something upfront." My first thought is: damn, he has a boyfriend...
all
the good ones always have a fucking boyfriend. Instead I get: "I don't
know
where this is going in the future (meaning tonight) but I just have to
let
you know upfront that I am HIV+. I don't want to freak you out, but
some
guys tned to have different reactions to it." I tried not to look as
shocked as I felt. I am completely aware it is out there, but this guy?
I
quickly composed myself and replied: "thank you for being honest with
me,
can we go back and dance?" To which we did and continued to have a
great
night.

Alright I am exhuasted. enough of story time. I have to get up in 5
hours
and learn how to bridge the achievement gap. Wish me good luck! Again,
please send me your new email address and let me know of people I have
missed. Tons of love! miss you all!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment